INFORMATION

LOCATION

Palatine Township History

In 1835, the first settlers arrived in what is now Palatine Township. They settled in wooded areas such as Deer Grove, Englishman's Grove, Highland Grove (Inverness), and Plum Grove.

 

Palatine township was originally designated "Township 42" by State Constitution. In 1850, the townspeople gathered at a local schoolhouse to choose a new name for the township. It is very likely that the name Palatine originated from the "Palatinate" area along the Rhine River in Germany, The European home of many of our early settlers.

 

At this time, township government was established by law. On April 2, 1850, the first annual meeting of the Township of Palatine was held. A staff of officers was elected to govern the community's affairs. The annual Town Meeting continues to this day offering the people a voice in their township government. All residents of the Township are invited to attend both the annual town meeting and all regular board meetings to voice their concerns.

 

 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload